Ogun cobbler electrocuted while reconnecting neighbours’ electricity

The dreams of Hammed Omotosho, a secondary school leaver in Agbado, Ogun State, sadly ended after he was electrocuted while fixing the electricity of a building disconnected in the neighbourhood.

The 24-year-old, who was a cobbler and a member of Man O’ War, was reportedly about to accomplish his ambition of enlisting in the Nigerian Army when the tragedy struck.

Punch correspondent learnt that some residents of a house on Ishola Street, Abosule, Agbado Crossing, engaged Omotosho penultimate on Saturday night to reconnect their power supply allegedly disconnected by workers of the electricity distribution company serving the area.

It was gathered that there was an outage at the time Hammed climbed the pole but while he was in the middle of the task, power was restored.

He was said to have got a shock from a naked wire, fell off balance, crashed onto the ground and died on the spot.

A source in the community told punch correspondent that the residents fled in the ensuing panic, adding that the incident was reported to the Agbado Police Division.

The source said, “He (Omotosho) was a cobbler and member of Man O’ War. He was diligent and talented. He assisted people to fix electrical problems in their homes in exchange for a token. The house he went to that Saturday night of March 27 was disconnected and the residents wanted to reconnect the electricity.

“There was no electricity before he started the connection. But while he was at it, power was restored around 11am. He was electrocuted. Those who invited him fled home for fear of being attacked. Policemen from Agbado division came to remove his corpse.”

The deceased’s father, Sikiru, a bricklayer, described him as a kind-hearted son, lamenting that his death was a huge loss to the family.

Post a Comment